I set a goal of 75 books and I read 81. I think I’ll keep 75 as my goal for 2021 but add…track better and write notes about each book.
This whole year has been very different from years past. Christmas was no exception. Oddly familiar and yet, not.
Let me tell you about..
Five days before Christmas….Qs boyfriend’s dad tested positive for covid-19. Q came home to isolate …
A bit of background: At 21, Q is a senior in college with a boyfriend and two jobs. She shares time between our house and her boyfriend’s parents’ house.
Four days until Christmas…Q at home and holed up in her room. We have a tv tray outside of her door. She texts for food, we feed her. It’s not perfect but we are making the most of it. I hate how we have to do it, but I like being able to spoil my girl.
Two days until Christmas…day of testing! Q decided to get the non-rapid test because she felt she’d get more accurate results.
One day before Christmas…more waiting, more feeding through a door… waiting on test results SUCKS.
Christmas Day…. covid style….Q insisted we still make our traditional brunch foods. Of course, I complied. It made me happy to make Q her favorites. It killed me to not see or hug my daughter.
Later that night….much later…after midnight…test results… POSITIVE.
This almost killed me. Q was in her room, alone, crying her eyes out. I couldn’t go in her room. I couldn’t hug her. She was hysterical and I could do NOTHING. And then, she left and went back to her boyfriend’s house of covid. There at least she could move beyond her tiny room and have some human contact. I understand but I hate it.
I’m in quarantine with my favorite person and my favorite dog. We’re here until the first week in January…its a good thing we like each other. 🤣🤣
My mom went and got us produce, we have plenty of food, and all the streaming services. It’s not totally horrible but this is my winter break.
I never really really watch the Star Wars prequel trilogy so I started a SW marathon… prequel trilogy and Solo have been watched so far…. tonight is A New Hope (is it weird for anyone else to call Star Wars this “new” title?!?). It’s a good thing for Star Wars or I’d keep watching corny Christmas movies and I’ve already watched enough of those this season.
I’m usually so upbeat and positive but this has me bummed. I slept almost all day Sunday and Monday. Obviously, I’m not mentally at my best. Today, Tuesday, has been a bit better. I deep cleaned my kitchen and made a menu… something is better than sleeping all day.
On Sunday, I woke up and enjoyed my coffee and decided I needed to bake. I went looking for a recipe but found a few I liked. I combined and came up with what I am calling “Brown Sugar Brunch Cake” and it was delicious!!!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup veg. oil
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
Crunch Topping ingredients:
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4-6 tablespoons soft butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Grease your pan – My pan is approximately an 8X11 but a 9X13 or muffin tins could just as easily be used.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, white & brown sugars, salt, and baking powder. Break up all sugar clumps. Stir in oil, eggs, and milk until well blended with very few lumps.
- Optional step – fold in fruit (berries, bananas, chunks of apples)
- Fill your baking vessel
- In a medium bowl, mix together the Crunch Toppings ingredients. Crumble over top of the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 25-30 minutes. If making muffins, check after 20 minutes. Toothpick inserted in the middle will come out clean when cake is done
- The longer you let the cake cool, the crunchier your topping becomes!